Friday, March 16, 2007

Wrestling is here!

In Wayne county, wrestling is big. They start kids as early as preschool age in wrestling. So of course, me (the mom who is always on a soapbox about too much focus on sports around here) is allowing my child to wrestle. It's just that parents let their kids travel for hours to participate in sports and there are very FEW scholarships from sports. If we live here forever, our kids need scholarships based on grades and achievements. I'm not sure what sports have to offer.

I guess I will defend myself for now. Last month, when I was in Salt Lake, Tommy saw from the window of the car, a Tai Kwan Do class and asked me what the kids were doing. Then he asked me if he could take that class. I had to explain to him that they didn't offer classes like that where we live. So when wrestling came available, I let Dave take him.

Last weekend I let him go to his first tournament because it was local, not hours away. Tommy came home with a bronze medal. I guess he pinned the first kid and then lost his last 2 matches. He was sad because he didn't get first. Dave let him think this way so he knows that he could have done better- so that he'll be willing to practice more. Okay, I'm not sure I agree with this... the kid just turned 5.

Now this weekend, they are driving 1 1/2 hours to a tournament and Dave just bought him wrestling shoes. You don't walk around in them, but only put them on when you get there on the mats. They were $33! Not to mention, we just signed him up for T-ball and Dave also bought a bat, balls, and a T. AND SO IT BEGINS... arrgh.

No comments: